Women are often referred to as extraordinary multitaskers but there is a glitch. They are extraordinary multitaskers with efficiency. They do office jobs during office hours and their personal chores outside the office hours.
So what multitasking refers to is while writing an article a person is hearing a podcast. Both actions require mental energy and a high level of efficiency to yield productive results.
This pandemic has made multitasking more of a norm. For instance, if you are attending a webinar about productivity in-office hours while replying to a clients email. You lose your attention span in both works. There might be a spelling mistake or a wrongly typed sentence. On the other hand, you might lose an important topic from the webinar due to your poor attention.
What is Multitasking?
Multitasking is when one person handles more than one task at the same time.
Multitasking could turn into a brain-draining task. However you see it, it can never be safe to talk over a call while driving. It is damaging and destructive.
According to research in 2008, approximately $650 billion a year was wasted in US businesses due to multitasking.
Let us give you solid reasons as to why you must not multi task:
Multitasking can result in time wasted due to human context switching and becoming prone to errors due to insufficient attention.
- Lowers Your Efficiency: Being efficient is a state or a skill. Not everyone can show the dedication to be efficient. The efficiency makes you save time. This saved time could be used for your desired purpose without feeling guilty. Often multitasking includes a mixture of personal or professional work or different types of professional work. This makes a person loose small fragments of time lost in thinking or taking breaks often. This time loss is recouped only if you have the skill of being organised. That is how being efficient is described.
- It is a mentally Draining Task: Multitasking is not real. It looks like you are working so hard yet work never ends. You end up blaming your work culture or blaming your family for being so demanding of your time. Sit and evaluate, the amount of attention you give to the work that comes your way takes mental energy to solve that task. Initially, you might feel, it’s cool to solve everyone’s problem. In the long as the everyday tasks become more and more overwhelming to solve. Draw a line. Sometimes definite limits are good. Time is limited, so is energy. So use your time and energy on real meaningful tasks so that will improve your efficiency and decrease your energy draining.
- It lowers your Intelligence: Imagine solving a Rubik puzzle for 4 hours. It’s exhausting right. Now if we give you 30 mins to solve the Rubik puzzle. You use your intelligence to the max because time is limited. So if you have to get a client you give 30 mins of whole and sole time to that client. You use all your intelligence to break through clients’ needs. This makes you refreshed, happy and energised. You are motivated to do the next task. But if you call every hour to explain the services. It gets you nowhere. You must spend a lot of time specific to each task to use your intelligence to the maximum. This also makes you efficient as well as less energy loss.
- Lower Emotional Intelligence: Anxiety, stress, sleep disorder are all only symptoms of emotional troubles. Multitasking hinders emotional health. It makes you indecisive and under-confident. You become either too angry or less responsive and more reactive. Your self-awareness level also diminishes which makes you constantly stress about being imperfect or unworthy. In the long run must- tasking affects emotional well being and lower career growth.
- Lower Quality Life: Do you push coffee breaks to complete more work? Do work on weekends to have an edge over office work? In both ways, you are losing over your personal life. What are you living for? A coffee break could improve your creative aspects as you get to hear different points of view. Multi-taskers often feel pressure to do more and everything. As a person, you don’t feel like dividing the task of transferring the task to someone else. This impacts your quality of life negatively both professionally and personally.
- Less Collaborative: Multitasking makes you less collaborative as you assume to do everything by yourself. Being collaborative makes you finish the tasks more socially and creatively. Collaboration positively stimulates mental energies.
- lowers listening skill: Any positional growth requires listening skills. Multitasking never allows you to give your complete attention to listen. This makes others presume that you are arrogant. This creates mistrust. You could be seen as unapproachable. Listening to others makes you understand others strengths in specific tasks.
If these reasons aren’t enough for you to multitask then read more here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2021/07/15/why-you-shouldnt-multitask-and-what-you-can-do-instead/amp/
When we think we’re multitasking we’re actually multi switching. That is what the brain is very good at doing – quickly diverting its attention from one place to the next. We think we’re being productive. We are, indeed, being busy. But in reality, we’re simply giving ourselves extra work.
Once you understand multitasking it is easier to see it as a skill.
Working in a job and then working on a side hustle could be productive. But if you give a specific time for each task.
Multitasking is a skill when efficiency and productivity are present.
Finishing a sales call and preparing a presentation are both different tasks that require different types of attention span and intelligence.
So understanding the difference between multitasking including efficiency, creativity and productivity will make you an exponentially skilled person.
We at Skillz4life believe in creating a culture of creative and productive mindset.
Our trainers have the expertise of three decades in productivity, leadership and corporate management.
Skillz4life is a Research-based Training and Development Company, committed to aiding Leaders to live a life of infinite possibilities and greatness.
Our foresight is to develop revolutionary Market Creators, Influencers, and Leaders.
We provide services like
- Workplace Communication Programs
- Young Leadership Programs
- Accelerated Leadership Programs
- Entrepreneurial Mentorship.
If you find this article helpful share this with someone who can build their efficiency at the workplace.
Follow us on your favourite social media platforms.
Here are the links to our social media platforms.
Read our previous blog on Why Time Management is a Must Skill for Students?