It was not shocking for us when the survey was published that only 20% of women participate in the active workforce.
It was something to be stressed about. Most of the women never returned after becoming mothers. Those who do try to come back face a lot of discrimination for the following reasons:
- Low pay
- Age factor
- Never upgraded their skills in their career break.
Until we came across Neha’s struggle to bounce back into the workforce after a career gap of two years.
She was on her fifth interview and was displeased by the repetitive questions like
- Who will take care of the baby?
- How will she manage home and office?
- Will she have another child?
- She will take more sick leaves when the child will be sick.
Neha had upgraded her skills and did some internships accordingly but she was struggling to get into the next level of the interview.
She was offered low pay in some cases which did not make any significance according to her skills.
Neha was close to giving up to find employment.
It was hard and tormenting for many women who show courage to attend interviews even after rejections and discrimination based on life situations.
We realised that this was just the first step in the corporate world.
Somewhere all this did make sense when we saw the news article on Business Standard where they said that 33% of Indian employees face age-based discrimination.
We understood that discrimination was based on many factors depending on the employer’s prejudices.
We carry prejudice based on several life experiences. Many times we discriminate based on the impression that we made the right decision.
Prejudice is the root cause of discrimination. There are many examples where our prejudices make us have unhappy and dissatisfied relationships.
We found that many women employees were stressed to come back after maternity break as they have a prejudice that they would be treated differently after the break.
They didn’t feel they would be encouraged enough to work further.
There is always a second thought before hiring a female employee or a recently married female employee. Such prejudices don’t occur in male gender hiring.
The male gender faces a different kinds of prejudices and discrimination. They are discriminated against based on age and place.
Most of the time discrimination leads to lifelong prejudice.
- They trust fewer people in the workplace.
- They become less confident and lack communication skills.
- They work in constant fear.
- Some face lifelong anxiety and depression.
- It is hard to eliminate prejudice and discrimination but not an impossible task if we become more self-aware about our actions and communicate with the right intention.
How can we overcome Prejudice?
- Adequate Reasoning
- Positive conversation
- Open-minded communication
- Listening and Responding
- Practice being non-judgemental
Discrimination is hard to overcome by one person. It will still exist in a system, we can learn to be resilient towards discrimination.
Discrimination can be on many factors but don’t let it make you feel inferior about yourself. Trust your skills and challenge yourself to try much harder next time.
We at Skillz 4 life always aim to build our students’ personalities towards better leadership for the future.
Then connect with us to get you a guaranteed offer letter in your dream organizations
We built the most successful skill course which is built with experience and real-time facts.
WE CAN HELP YOU BREAK THE DISCRIMINATION AND PREJUDICE CYCLE.
With our effective communication program, you can break this barrier of discrimination and prejudice.
We have seen many successes when you effectively present your views in a proper manner and notions
Our soft skills program will prepare you for the advanced positions and boost your confidence building with proactive character.
Skillz 4 Life will accelerate your career with all the industry-relevant skills which will help you outshine any changes you encounter in your career.
- Do you want to reach the highest milestone in your career?
- Do you want to learn How to express emphatically?
- Do you aspire to attain leadership roles?
With Our Communication Program, You Will Learn
- HOW TO HANDLE ARGUMENTS?
- HOW TO BUILD A DREAM TEAM FOR SUCCESSFUL ENDEAVOURS?
- HOW TO BE AN ASSERTIVE DECISION MAKER?
- HOW TO LISTEN AND RESPOND EFFECTIVELY?
- HOW TO WRITE EMAILS AND REPORTS PROFESSIONALLY?
Click the link to kick start your successful Career Life